Friday, January 21, 2005

Sharing Food

After First and Second Squads came back from their patrol, they were pretty psyched to have found and help destroy an IED (Improvised Explosive Device, aka ‘homemade bomb’) before someone could actually plant it. They found a 130mm Soviet artillery, all wired up with plastic explosive as a detonator and lacking only a nine-volt battery to set it all off. So they were pretty happy to have actually found something and help prevent someone or something from being endangered by it.

But it also meant that their patrol was much longer than planned. They probably woke a few hours after midnight and then had to wait some time for the ordinance disposal guys to show up and destroy the device. By the time they came back, the chow hall was closed and they were starving.

Pvt Armbruster said, "God, I wish I had some food somewhere."

I thought, ‘I have food. I have lots of food.’

So I grabbed a bunch of the Pop Tarts and granola bars that everyone had sent and just started offering them to the guys. Most were so hungry that they accepted both and I almost depleted my stock (but I was careful to save me some too). They were so hungry that when I offered the stuff to them, usually their eyes bugged out and they said, "YEAH, thanks Chesak!" I heard this about a dozen times. Very cool that I was able to spread around all the good will and generosity of everyone who sent a care package within my platoon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?