Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Things I’m happy about

1. Helping the Iraqi people. While down south you sometimes wondered if you were really helping folks, there is no doubt up here. The Kurds and most of the population of this region are genuinely appreciative of us and what we’re doing here and they show that to us on a daily basis by waving at our convoys, giving us a very American thumbs up, or putting their hands over their hearts in the Middle Eastern way of saying thank you. Some times our hands ache from all the waving we do during patrols… depending on the neighborhood though…

2. All the mail and care packages! Holy cow, I’ve been amazed at all the cards that people have sent and certainly the time and trouble so many people have gone to in order to send me and the rest of the guys food, toiletries, phone cards, and just general good wishes and thoughts. THANK YOU all again!!!

3. Iraqi kids. They just seem to genuinely love us and we definitely go out of our way for them, at least to give them candy and toys and whatnot.

4. Sleep. I’m sleeping pretty well here and am probably getting more hours sleep per night than I did at home (which will come as no surprise to any of you that know about my insomnia). [Of course the moment I wrote this, I started having trouble sleeping…]

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?