Friday, March 11, 2005

The Mighty Thor

So the other night I was standing in a guard tower, when I hear a lot of rustling in the grass below. After a while of some thrashing about, this little white and brown puppy popped out of the grass. I climbed down the ladder and tried to call him over. I made the kissy sort of noise and he came close enough for me to see that this wiry little guy with a bloated belly had no ears, just cavities where what were supposed to be floppy ears are supposed to be. I tried to feed him what I had in my pocket, which was only a breakfast bar, and he ate that and also nibbled on some angel food cake that some one had dropped (that can’t be good for him). But he finally just yapped at me and then ran away.

I didn’t see him again that night but suddenly I saw last night that the HQ guys were suddenly taking care of him. They put out some water, a blanket for him, and gave him some food. Now his name is Thor, although I want to call him Van Gogh, because of his ears.

Now, we’re by no means allowed to have a dog here as the folks at battalion would be pissed. They have to tell us this, that we can’t have a dog, because if someone were to catch something from one, or get rabies or something (mind you, this county is full of totally wild dogs and has very few veterinarians, even if people could afford one), they would be responsible. So we don’t have a dog, just a new ‘interpreter.’ Latest word now was that the pup will have to go away yesterday but today I was happy to hear his little raspy, high-pitched RUH-RUH-RUH sort of bark. And of course he’s just one dog in a nation full of strays but still, why not find a more proactive and positive solution, like sending over one of the Army’s veterinarians to just make sure he’s healthy and then move on.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?