Saturday, April 09, 2005

Updated Care Package List

I’ve actually been thinking about deleting this section of the blog for sometime because it feels like I’m asking people to send me stuff. But so many people have been asking what they can send, and have been so sincere, generous, and thoughtful, that we decided to keep it up just as a guide. So, if you are interested in helping sustain me, and the lads, both physically and mentally, here are just some ideas:

• Low fat soy milk (so I can eat all the cereal that we have here)
• Nonperishable ethnic food that you can make in a microwave or with hot water (I’m craving Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc., but no spicy stuff please)
• Condiments like BBQ sauce, salsa, garlic powder, peanut butter, etc.
• Luna bars (Key Lime Pie, Peppermint Stick, Dulce de Leche, Carmel Apple, S’mores, Lemon Zest, etc.) or Nature Valley granola bars (Peanut Butter is always a favorite but others are good too)
• Plastic-sealed summer sausage, turkey or salmon jerkey, cans of tuna
• DVD’s – science fiction, light popular comedies, stand-up comedy, History Channel/PBS documentaries. Please don’t spend any real money though, just get used ones or those on sale. Better yet, send old ones you don’t like or don’t watch any more.
• Books on CD or downloadable books – I need ones I can load into my MP3 player. Again, please just get used ones, those on sale, or ‘recycle’ the ones you don’t want anymore. No need to spend any real dough.
• Laptop/weapons cleaning stuff (Q-tips, pipe cleaners, canned air, etc.)
• Lots of AA and some AAA batteries
• Stuff for Iraqi kids: individually wrapped candies (preferably heavier, throw-able stuff like Starbursts, Jolly Ranchers, Jaw Breakers, etc.), pens or pencils (clean out that jar of random pens in your kitchen!), toys (small ones that we can toss from vehicles), or even the occasional soccer ball
Things not to send:
• Lip balm (I’m LOADED with lip balm)
• Lotion (I’m loaded with that too)
• Books (I have a ton!)
• Plastic ziplock bags (ibid)
• Baby wipes (people sent us a TON of these, including one industrial-sized box)
• Disposable cameras – my dad and brother got me a digital camera!
• Calling cards – people have been super-generous and already sent quite a few. But we don’t have a phone system here that allows us to use them (doh!).
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?