Monday, May 02, 2005

Home at last!... for now

Hi all,

After more than 69 hours of travel (on Humvees, trucks, two C-130 cargo planes, various buses large and small, and three different commercial jets), paperwork, briefings, incessant lines, bad Army and airplane food, only about seven hours sleep in beds, several more hours sleep on airplanes, and my first beer in more than five months (a REAL Guinness in the Shannon, Ireland airport at five in the morning), I'm home at last, for leave at least! I'll be here for two weeks, starting the arduous trek back early on the 14th.

Until then, I'll be learning who Lillian is, getting reacquainted with Sally, enjoying such truly American things as Costco, interstates, drinking water from a tap, taking a shower in my bare feet, actually flushing toilet paper down the toilet, and a bathroom free of cockroaches.

I hope to make some calls and say hello to many folks, but I may not have much time to do so. After all, if there's a choice between chatting on the phone for a while or playing with Lillian, it's no contest.

I hope to post some more about Lilli and some photos soon. But for now I've got to try to help Sally with dinner, learning the intricacies of holding a baby in one arm while cooking with the other. It should be fun.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?