Monday, June 27, 2005

Care Package List

I hate to keep on posting this but it keeps changing. More importantly, people are still kind enough to ask what to send and generous enough to pack it up and ship it over here. THANK YOU all for everything you've already sent!!! You've made many soldiers (especially me) and lots of Iraqi kids very, very happy (and healthy too, you should see the stuff we get for dinners here – UGH).

• Soy milk (so I can eat all the cereal that we have here) – very important to my happiness and well being. Low-fat, non-fat, full-fat, vanilla, unflavored, even a few chocolate, I don't care. I can't drink the cow milk to soy is key for eating and snacking on cereals!

• Progresso soups (especially heartier ones with pasta in them – but no red meat please). These are great for me to eat for meals. I eat them cold and usually in lieu of the crud they have at the chow hall. Also very important to my happiness and well being.

• A few cans or pouches of tuna, especially with some squeeze bottles of mayo and/or relish are always popular here. We blew through our stock of nearly 60 cans faster than I would have ever imagined.

• Peanut butter and peanut butter and crackers packages (but not the orange-colored crackers please - ick)

• Bite-sized snickers bars for the lads here – they love ‘em

• Popular movie DVD’s (for the guys – Caddy Shack, The Siege, Rocketman, I Married an Axe Murderer, Three Amigos) and artsy, independent, Independent Film Channel/ Sundance/Cannes-type movie DVD’s (for me – Bottle Rocket, Whale Rider, The Pianist, The Notebook). Please don’t spend any real money though, just get used ones or those on sale. Better yet, send old ones you don’t like or don’t watch any more.

• Stuff for Iraqi kids: individually wrapped candies (preferably heavier, throw-able stuff like Starbursts, Jolly Ranchers, Jaw Breakers, etc.), pens or pencils (clean out that jar of random pens in your kitchen!), or just a few toys or stuffed animals (SMALL ones that we can toss from vehicles).

• PLEASE surprise us! Life here is pretty routine (not dull, just repetitive). So go crazy, send some new entrée or lunch thing (no red meat please though), various types of cookies, and just generally different stuff. Don’t worry about sending the ‘wrong’ thing because while I won’t eat pecan sandies or oysters in oil, I bet I can find guys that will!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?