Saturday, September 17, 2005

Our Food

I have a lot of food here. People have been incredibly generous and thoughtful with all the care packages they've sent and we are well-stocked with soups, ramen, dried fruit, etc. Plus the army sends us tons of food for breakfast and dinners. However, it has been almost an entire, very long, drudgery-filled year, that's 320 or so days now. Thus we're pretty sick of the usual stuff, really sick actually. The army food is so meaty, greasy, and starchy that I can barely eat it any more and we're all pretty well jerked out from jerky, dried fruit, trail mixes, etc.

So you have to be a little creative at times and 'opportunistic' as well. One day, I spotted a whole package of mozzarella cheese just sitting in the cooler in, what I call, our 'chow shed'. Now, the right thing to do would have been to leave that there for everyone to enjoy. However, the reality of the situation is that if I hadn't taken it back to my squad bay for my guys to have, someone else would have taken it for theirs. Thus is life in the Army. We constantly promote teamwork but all too often the reality is that it's every man/squad/unit for him/itself.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?